Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Finding Time

I don't have a hobby. I'm pretty sure I never really had one but at this point in my life even if I wanted one I don't know where I'd fit it in. My hobby is keeping my life from imploding. I jealously look at others who are doing fun things or hobbyish things and think "How'd you manage that?"

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm running in 5k. I use the term "running" very loosely. It's still a jog- more like a speed walk with a hop. I don't know what possessed me to think this was a good idea. Getting off the couch and moving after a baby takes some effort and I thought giving myself a goal would help me get back in shape. The problem is running is NOT fun. And I have to find at least an hour to change, run, and get cleaned up on top of everything else in my life. Only a few more days and I'm done. This is my new motivator- after Saturday I will NEVER run again. Unless someone is chasing me- and I'll only run if it's life or death.

What surprised me the most in my "training" was that I did find time to practice. It was necessary and I wanted to run in the race so it had to be done. My excuses for not doing certain things because there is no time don't seem to hold water anymore. I guess we make time for what we think is important. We make time for what's necessary...I wouldn't skip grocery shopping or putting gas in my car because there's no time. I don't get to make that choice. So when this race is over I'm freeing up some time...will I let it get wasted again or will I find something productive to do? Hopefully I'll figure out what's most important...and remind myself there's time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started running once, and then I stopped because, like you said....It's no fun!! On the downside to that, I've now gained 10 pounds since I stopped. LOL. What are ya gonna do???

*carrie* said...

Tracy,

Good for you for running! I think you could call blogging a hobby since you're back on a roll with posting. =)

Kendra Lee said...

Sounds great! Have a super race!! I ran cross country in HS... not sure why... well, I guess SOMEONE had to come in last :-)!!!

Christy said...

I don't have a "hobby" either. There are definitely things I love to do- photography and blogging of course! But like you, I don't know when I would have time to do something else.

A few years ago, I trained for a marathon. I was disciplined about my training and really enjoyed having that be a part of my life. Now, I can hardly run a few times a week. I will have a really good week and then I don't run for three weeks. It is so aggravating! You are right though, it is what I make time for. Sometimes there are more important things then me getting out for a run.

Hope Saturday goes well! Maybe you will end up loving it after all!